Monday, May 21, 2012

Coop - Day 2

Coop - Day 2 - 3 sides done and roof cut
After the VW car show on Sunday and got my daughter down for her afternoon nap, I had some time to put into the coop.  I had to purchase some 2"x4"s and some trim wood and my goal was to get all the sides done. I first laid the smooth white laminate board down on the bottom and put the two main walls up. Then I cut the siding pieces.
Chicken door down
Chicken door up
I then started working on the side with the chicken entrance.  I made the entrance 12" wide by 16" tall.  I made it so the door will slide up by a string.  Right now its a tight fit and I hope to sand it down a little so it will slide back via gravity. I will also need to make sure to watch where I paint around the door to keep it from being gunked up with paint.

East wall with ventilation window
I then quickly cut the short wall with the ventilation window. It was easy and quick to make.

Nesting boxes and lid
The last more involved wall was the south side with the nesting boxes.  I cut the opening to fit three 14" wide boxes.  I have heard sometimes chickens will all nest in one box but I am hoping each one want their privacy.
three 14" x14" holes to access the nest box
I added the smooth white laminate board to the bottom of the nesting boxes too
A view inside the nest box
A view from inside the coop looking at the nest boxes
The build for nest boxes went pretty well.  I spent a lot of time double checking measurements and finding the right sized scraps.  I got a nice heavy piece of siding for the top and used some hinges to make a top access for eggs.  I need to figure a way out to hold the nest box lid up when gathering eggs.

Overall, I am please with the days work.  I need to make the main access door next, put the shingles on the roof then I think it will be ready for paint.  Its a 3 day weekend with some nice weather so I hope to have the coop done by June 1st.  The next project will be the chicken run which I think will take a little more money, materials time, but thats for another post!  :)


2 comments:

  1. make sure to put some form of locks on the doors/next box top - you don't want racoons getting in...

    ReplyDelete