Sunday, May 27, 2012

7 weeks old


Mermaid, Belle and Princess Aurora Sleeping Beauty - 7 weeks old

The chickens are now 7 weeks old.  I spend a lot of time looking online to find out at what age is ok to put the chicks outside.  The chicks feathers have come in and I have been letting them spent a lot of time outside this past week plus the weather is suppose to be pretty nice this week, so I decided it should be ok to put them in the coop.  My wife is happy to get them out of the house and I think the chicks will like having a bit more space then the box they have been living in.  I added 1/2 fresh new wood shavings and then I added their current wood shavings hoping the smell and familiarity will make the coop feel comfortable.  I also am using their small water bottle and feeder until I get the run completed. Once the run is completed, the coop will be free of food and water.  While I am a little worried about the chicks being outside at night, I am excited to have the coop done ahead of schedule.

I also put a screwed the chicken door shut until the run is finished.


The chicks checking out their new home

Mermaid, Princess Aurora and camera shy Belle checking out their new coop

1 comment:

  1. Yeah... at 12:30am last night I was worried about the chicks in the cold and ended up going out and hooking up their heating lamp for the chicks. I am such a softy....

    ReplyDelete