Monday, April 2, 2012

Meeting #1

So, I went to the first City of Golden Planning Dept meeting this afternoon.  I met with two people from the city as well as another Goldenite who is also trying to get a small animal permit.  The employees from the city were very nice and trying make the process quick as well as finding ways to make a small animal permit more streamlined. The other person trying to get a permit, actually had a neighbor come by in support of getting some chickens.

I however had a letter that was submitted by a gentlemen who lives a handfull of houses south of me just on the border of the 500ft. radius of notification.  He wasn't specifically protesting my animal permit, but more so complaining about people having chickens.  His complaint was in regards to attracting flies, and excessive smell and noise.  The people at the city said that since he is not directly adjacent to my property as well as I am locating the coop at the end of our house near the alley, that his complaint shouldn't interfere with my process of acquiring the small animal permit.

So, the next step with the COG is to attend a meeting at City Hall in early May.  With the chicks arriving soon, I am hedging my bets and planning that the rest of my permit will go along with no other issues!  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck... Is there an immunization requirement?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No... we were hoping to start a new strain of Chicken Flu right here in Golden!! We are tired of China having all the good contagions... Sars, Bird Flu, Zombie virus :)

    But seriously, the guy at the Golden Mill said that there is medicated food to purchase, but he said with this batch of chicks they seemed healthy. They received 300 with 0 D.O.A. In the past he has had 2-3 D.O.A. and would then recommend the medicated feed.

    Another friend also suggested molasses in the water for a holistic organic immune boost.

    ReplyDelete