Monday, March 26, 2012

Why?

Why are we raising chickens?

I have some friends who are completely surprised when they hear we are going to start raising chickens. To me, it doesn't seem that weird, but to others it seems very unusual for me to get my wife and kids wrapped up in having chickens. So, I thought I would try to explain my thinking...

- I was raised on a farm until I was 3 or so. I don't have any memories of it, but I can only think starting my life around animals would have made a positive impression on me.  I would like to help Lucy and Link build some of their own memories around having animals in their lives.

- I see it as a Family Project. I have lots of personal projects, whether is my biking or working on cars, or projects around the house, its always me building something for my self. While I may be the driving force behind this crazy mission, I do think having a project that my wife, and kids and I can all do together will make us stronger as a family and bring us together.

- I would like to teach Lucy a little responsibility. I think chickens fall between Pet Rock and Puppy on the responsibility scale.

- EGGS!!!  As I get farther and father down this rabbit hole, I see that the cost/benefit of not having to buy eggs anymore slowly disappearing, but I have heard that fresh eggs taste incredible! I think it will be a good feeling for the family to be able to eat from something we have taken care of.  I had originally thought we could also use the chickens as meat later on, but from what I have heard you grow pretty attached to your chicks...

So, there you go!  Those are the reasons I have for adding some chickens in our lives.

I'll do my best to share with you all our photos and tales along our chicken journey!

:)

Swift's Chick'n Shack

1 comment:

  1. We had mainly peacocks on that farm - we had a few chickens, but the peacocks were the ones waking us up in the morning...

    ReplyDelete