Monday, March 26, 2012

Chicks

a Bhrama rooster

Alright, now we are finally moving forward.  My plan is to get 3 Bhrama hens. Bhramas are unique due to their feathered feet.  But more importantly they are also quiet, gentle and good in colder climates.

But where do you get chickens?  It's not like you can go to Target and pick up some.  However, getting chickens is still pretty easy.  Here are the three options I found.

1 - Internet.  There are lots of online stores that will ship you eggs, or 1 day old chickens
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html

2 - Murdochs.  The Target of farming supplies.  Its on south Santa Fe down west of Highlands Ranch.
http://www.murdochs.com/

3 - Golden Mill. It is one of those stores in Golden that you have driven by a hundred times but not having a horse, I've never needed to go in.
http://www.goldenmillinc.com/

So, I first called Murdochs, and the person on the phone was nice, but said that I can't place an order for   any.  So its first come, first serve and she said the Bhramas go quickly.  With Murdochs being 30+min or more away I didn't feel like turning our chicken purchase into scene from the Black Friday standing in line in 20deg weather at 5:00am.

Next, I stopped by Golden Mill.  I should have gone directly to them first. The store reminds me of a country store in Nebraska.  I walked in I spoke to the nice guy about getting some Bhramas and he placed an order for me.  The chicks should be here April 6, 2012! I feel good about buying locally and love that they are 5 blocks or so from the house.  (Another reason I love Golden, but thats a different blog).


1 comment:

  1. Swift; you make it sound like getting a chicken is like getting the new Apple release! Maybe it is in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete