Monday, March 26, 2012

Getting ready


Heat bulb, waterer and chick feed
Our 3 chicken order will be coming next week, so I stopped by Golden Mill to start getting some items for when we bring the chicks home.

I picked up a 25lb bag of chick feed.  The chicks will eat this food until they are 18-20 weeks old. I also picked up a 1qt waterer, and a heating bulb.  The chicks need 95˚ temp for the first week home, and then decrease the temp 5˚ a week.  Once it gets to 70˚ or so, they don't need the heat lamp anymore.

I also picked up a tall cardboard box for their little home.  I plan to line it with newspaper for the first 2 days so they can learn to walk, then I will take out the newspaper sheets and put in wood shavings.  I am also going to put this box in our bathroom down stairs that way I can lock out two cats out.  The last  thing I want Lucy to see is Oscar gulping down a newborn chick!

The total for food, waterer and bulb was $20.56.

1 comment:

  1. Hope the chickens go well. It's all the rage here in Austin.

    ReplyDelete