Wednesday, June 12, 2013

New Chickens

Our new chickens, Minnie, Bennet and Princess Leia
So, after much discussion, we decided to bypass raising chicks again.  We didn't want to start all the way over with chicks that would need to stay in the house for the next 4 weeks.  We had the City of Golden Permit, the coop, pen and run built, and the yard just felt empty with out chickens. We also have eaten our last egg from Belle, Briar Rose and Mermaid and don't want to wait until October to get eggs. After a lot of though, we are going to get some chickens that can be outside, but are still a few weeks away from laying eggs.

I felt bad not going to the Golden Mill for our chicks, but was able to support small local business through a farm in Erie, CO called Wildfire Farms.  I spoke to the lady and she said she had lots of types of chickens to choose from.  I ran up to her farm and quickly picked out three new pullets for our family.

   Bennet the Barred Rock  - born February 22, 2013 - received at 16weeks. $19
   Princess Leia the White Leghorn - born March 29th, 2013 - received at 11 weeks. $11
   Minnie the Rhode Island Red - born March 29th, 2013 - received at 11 weeks. $11

The one thing about not raising the new girls from chicks, is I am a little afraid how they will behave in their new surroundings and with our family.  I really like the looks of the black and white Barred Rock and they are suppose to be a real nice, kind, gentle breed but a bit bossy to the other chickens.  I am hoping that having the two younger chickens will keep Bennett from being too bossy.  The white leghorn, Princess Leia, is kinda spastic and skitish...  I have read that this is their breed, so I don't expect much change of her behavior.

Happy to have chickens again and its nice to have a couple new breeds to raise too!

We will miss you Belle, Briar Rose and Mermaid, you taught me and my family a lot in your short time with us!
My kids and our chicks  - April 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment