Saturday, June 1, 2013

Another one bites the dust....

While we lost two of our chickens earlier this week, sadly last night we lost Mermaid too.  I had her in the pen and was gone at a friends house.  I came home a little late around 11:30pm and went to close up the run, but found another pile of feathers in the pen.  Normally closing the coop up late hasn't been a problem this past year, but what ever got the chickens earlier this week, must still be hungry and came back for one last treat.

To be honest, I was feeling very bad for Mermaid being the last and lonely chicken.  I was also worried about introducing new chickens into her home.  While I am feel horrible she is gone and feel solely responsible for her death, I do feel like she is happier.  I hope she got to meet up with Belle and Briar Rose in a chicken coop in the sky!

I spoke to all our neighbors about what happend to the first two chickens.  One neighbor said he say them across the street and tried to catch them but they were too quick.  Another neighbor found an egg in his yard.  So, the chickens were out BEFORE they were attacked.  Another neighbor said they saw a big fat raccoon along their fence.  While its still not clear how the first chickens got out of the pen, evidence is leading to RockyRaccoon for the disappearance of Belle, Briar Rose and Mermaid.

Next step... catch the bastard raccoon that has been getting my chickens!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment