Monday, March 25, 2013

Bumblefoot - NSFW

The patient in recovering room
Another chicken buddy, SeaBass, sent me these gross pictures (don't say I didn't warn you) of this chicken who had a bad case of bumblefoot.   It pretty much is an infection on the chickens foot and can be caused by a number of things.  I am sure that the dirt and feces the chickens walk in can take a small thing like a thorn or splinter and make it much worse.  His chicken was lethargic and not acting normal.  Dr. SeaBass bought a scalpel online and did some home surgery.  

I would check your chickens for bumble foot. I found that 3 of my 6 had it. We performed surgery on them and they are better now.

I ordered a scalpel just to have it handy if I ever have to perform other surgery as well. I had one chicken die a while ago because she had an impacted crop. If you have any chickens that are lethargic this is a symptom of impacted crop. Amazing what you learn!


He ended up finding a thorn in the wound.  He cleaned it and wrapped it up and the chicken was better a few days later. 

So, just keep this in mind and check your chickens feet every now and then, or if they act a bit more weird then normal chickens do.  :)






Successful surgery

The thorn that caused the bumblefoot


No comments:

Post a Comment