Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chicken Run - Day 1

Chicken run - After Day 1
I got some time this week and got a head start on the chicken run.  I have been letting the chickens "free range" out in the back yard over the last two weeks.  I've let them out from 20min up to 4 hours and they really seem to enjoy exploring the yard.  However, I do need to get their run completed so they can go in and out of their coop on their own.  The run is basically a 4'x8' rectangle about 42" high.  I am going to enclose it with welded wire to prevent predators. (I saw a raccoon infront of the house just this week).  I am also going to add rock and gravel on the floor of the coop for moisture and chick poop drainage.  I will add a door for human access too.  I dont foresee spending a lot of time in the run, but I want to be able to get in there if need be.

This was a pretty expensive trip to Home Depot.  I had to buy 50' of 4' black welded wire $60, 7 bags of river rock $30, 7 bags of gravel $30 plus some extra 2"x4"s.  I also bought an electric staple gun which is AWESOME!  Its so easy to use and only cost $27.  I am a staple fiend now and it makes attaching the wire to the wood very EASY.

Step 1 - Build frame and staple the wire around the bottom
Step 2 - Add river rock

Step 3 - Add gravel

Step 4 - Add soil
I am pretty please with the progress today.  I need to build the door, then paint all the wood, then I will finally staple the wire fencing.  I'll post more photos as I get more work done.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment